Videowalls are unfortunately not so widely spread in Azerbaijan while in the developed countries they have long become a common element of information technologies. But the situation is changing for better as the scope of videowall application expands. So, what is a videowall?
What is a videowall?
A video wall is a single multi-screen that consists of many videocubes or LCD-screens. One common or several different images from one or more information sources are projected on this screen through special technology. Videocubes or LCD-screens are connected so that the seam on the contact line is minimal. In modern videowalls the seam is several millimeters which considering the size of a videowall does not represent a significant hindrance for perception. A viewer’s eye perceives the videowall as a single whole and often even does not notice that an image on the screen consists of several pieces.
As the videowall is created as a puzzle (by a module principle), this helps create videowalls of almost every size. Thus, today there are videowalls covering the area of tens of square meters.
Pluses of videowalls
- flexible size – as it was mentioned above, videowalls can be of almost any size. An optimal configuration can be chosen for any premises;
- expandability – owing to modularity, videowalls can be expanded both horizontally and vertically, if such a need arises;
- stable operation – this is achieved again owing to the fact that videowalls consist of numerous screens. If one of the screens fails, the whole picture will not be affected much;
- frontal access – in case of failure in one of the screens, frontal access ensures maintenance and replacement of the screen without dismantling the others;
- functional flexibility – videowalls give the opportunity to transmit the image from several sources simultaneously which helps expand the circle of functions that they fulfill. The sources of image can be different-both analogous and digital (see the details below);
- high-quality picture – this point does not need explanations. It has to be noted that the clarity almost does not depend on exterior lighting.
Sources of image
As it was noted above, almost any carrier of visual information can be used as a source of image for videowalls. Below is the list of some of these sources:
- computer networks (including internet and intranet)
-systems of video conference communication
- DVD- players
- video recorders
- satellite and cable television receivers
- Industrial CCTV system
- smartphones, etc.
Scope of application
Videowalls in Baku (and countrywide) are used both in private and state sectors. Provisionally, the spheres of application of videowalls can be divided into two types: the first one, where information is the main function of a videowall, and the second type, where videowalls are used for effective control.
In both cases, videowalls successfully cope with the tasks set. For example, videowalls are widely used in concert halls, exhibitions and in trade centers. One source of information is often used and image size and quality are a top priority here.
When used in situational and crisis centers, the control room, etc. it becomes important to use information from several sources, which helps create the full picture of what is going on.
Creation of videowalls
A videowall is a complex which consists of the following elements:
- image displays (videocubes, LCD-screens)
High requirements are set to every element of a videowall in order to ensure flexible and stable performance. Smartek works exceptionally with the proven brand products. As for producers of displays for videowalls, these are such companies as HP, LG and Panasonic. As for switches (a switch or a controller is responsible for the proper conveyance of an image from one or more sorces and helps use different demonstration modes – migration of images on the screen, ‘picture in picture’, etx), these are Crestron and Kramer-the two leading producers of switching facilities for audio and video industry. Smartek uses SCALA platform as a content management software.
Smartek specialists perform a whole range of works for selection of equipment, projection and installation of videowalls in Baku and other cities of the country. We also provide consulting support, issue guarantee for the installed systems and carry out the technical maintenance of the installed equipment.
For free consultation or to apply for creation of a videowall contact us through the Contacts.